Exam and Cleanings
How Often Should I Have a Dental Exam & Cleanings?
Regular dental exams & cleanings visits are essential in preventing dental problems and maintaining the health of your teeth and gums. At these visits, your teeth are cleaned and checked for cavities. Additionally, there are many other things that are checked and monitored during exams & cleanings to help detect, prevent, and maintain your dental health. These include:
- Medical history review: Knowing the status of any current medical conditions, new medications, and illnesses, gives us insight to your overall health and also your dental health.
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for sometime and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line, and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Removes stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during toothbrushing and scaling.
- Oral hygiene recommendations: Review and recommend oral hygiene aids as needed (electric dental toothbrushes, special cleaning aids, fluorides, rinses, etc.).
- Review dietary habits: Your eating habits play a very important role in your dental health.
As you can see, a good dental exam & cleaning involves quite a lot more than just checking for cavities and polishing your teeth. We are committed to providing you with the best possible care, and to do so will require regular check-ups and cleanings.
Here in Park West Dental, our highly professional staff will ensure a proper dental exams & cleanings for every one of our clients. Our dentists will examine your oral health and search for uncommon imperfections while trying to identify any pathogens. After the examination is over, our dentists will discuss about the overall oral health, and evaluate what is to be done and create a treatment plan for the patient. it is important that people come in for regular dental exams & cleanings
Take the test yourself:
- Do you bleed when you brush your teeth?
- Do you feel that your tooth is getting longer?
- Do you have bad breath?
- One of your loved ones has lost his teeth particularly early?
If you answered yes to any of the questions, be reassured. Modern preventive care can preserve the health of your teeth and gums. Luckily, the dentists and dental hygienists of Parkwest Dentist know how to prevent and treat these problems at the same time as providing you with the peace of mind!
Dental examinations and cleaning, and our other services, may be covered by dental insurances such as Medicaid or CHIP.